It seems I’ve been making several items that are dispensed with a roller ball…from perfume, to nail serum, to serum to soothe bug bites. I thought it would be easy to pull out my notes on making a roll ball holder to protect them. The notes were in the folder with my sketch of how to make a lip balm holder, so I pulled them out.
While the lip balm holder was pretty simple, and I managed to make a bunch at the time, the instructions were sketchy. Back in April of last year I did a post about it and had taken pictures so the instructions made sense (https://marykisner.com/how-about-a-holder-for-the-lip-balm/). At the time, I also made a few roller ball holder for a friend for her essential oil business.
However, when I pulled out the notes for the roller ball holder the instructions were VERY sketchy so I spent all day trying to reconstruct how to make them. In the end, it isn’t hard but things had to be done in a certain order or the finished product looked really messy. (The first attempt ended up in the trash!)
This time I took lots of pictures while I made the second one. When I was finished, I tossed my original notes and will file a copy of this post as my new instructions! Enjoy!
Directions to Make a Holder for a Roller Ball
- Assemble Materials:
1 – 11″ x 2 1/2″ Cotton fabric: Outside fabric
1 – 8″ x 2 1/2″ Cotton fabric: Pocket fabric
1 – 3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ Cotton fabric: D-ring strap
1 – 3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ Thin batting
1 – 3/4″ D-Ring
1 – small carabiner clip
2. Sew batting piece to wrong side of outside fabric, lining it up with the center fold. Stitch in place.
3. Fold D-ring strap fabric, long sides to the center, and stitch edges. Insert strap through the D-ring. Stitch close to the ring.
4. Fold down the top edge over the batting, apply D-ring strap and stitch to the folded edge.
5. Finish the opposite edge of the outside piece by folding the edge 1/4″ and stitching.
6. Turn the outside fabric piece right side up and apply pocket piece with folded edge toward the D-ring and the raw edges at mid-fold of the outside piece.
7. Fold the outside fabric right sides together, matching the hemmed edges. Stitch around 3 sides, leaving the edge near the D-ring open for turning.
8. Trim corners. Turn right side out.
9. Top stitch around all four edges. Insert roller ball into pocket.
10. Attach carabiner clip.
So that’s how to make a roller ball holder…in case you want to make one yourself! See the link above for the instructions to make a lip balm holder.
Please comment or email me directly at email@example.com.